The Alpena-Montmorency Conservation District is a public body corporate and governmental subdivision of the State of Michigan. It exercises public powers as outlined in the Conservation District Law, Public Act 463 of 1998, as amended (MCL 324.9301 et seq.). The district came into existence due to soil conservation concerns expressed by agricultural leaders and other landholders in Alpena and Montmorency counties. A certificate of organization for the Alpena Conservation District was issued on December 27th, 1948, while that of the Montmorency Conservation District was issued on June 27th, 1950. The formation of these districts enabled the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) to provide a technical agent to assist private landowners in solving conservation problems. On September 18th, 2017, both districts were merged to create the Alpena-Montmorency Conservation District, which currently covers both counties.